Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Table Chapter



I spent part of this past snowy Saturday at my first Chapter school and Iowa’s first known Table Chapter. The purpose of the school was to provide instruction in the Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master, and the Royal Arch Degrees. As a new Royal Arch Mason of less than three months, I need all the instruction I can get.

Corinthian Chapter 14 and Ascalon Chapter 139 sponsored the Chapter school and arranged for the Table Chapter afterwards at Christopher’s Restaurant. I had never been to a Table Chapter before so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it turns out that no one else had been to one of these before either. Kurt Hoffman and Matt Risberg, the High Priests of Corinthian and Ascalon respectively, jointly planned the event complete with a ritual opening, closing, and seven traditional toasts. The ritual was fascinating and the toasts were inspiring, but the first order of business was introducing distinguished visitors, of course. That is something I have seen before. Actually, I think distinguished visitors were introduced at my initiation as an Entered Apprentice. Regardless, I had a great time at the school and Table Chapter. Kurt and Matt did a fine job organizing the event and I plan to attend more. Even if there is a winter storm warning in effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment