Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Door Lecture and no electricity



Polk City lost electricity for about two hours Monday night right about supper time. Now that it’s getting dark early, we needed all the flashlights and candles we could round up. Even with a half dozen flashlights, all of which seemed to be running low on battery power, and three or four candles putting out a head-spinning combination of scents, our time without power threw us for a loop. We’re just not used to sitting around without the TV, the iPad, the internet, or the dvd player running. We tired quickly of listening to the battery powered radio. After about the first hour, I asked my wife if she’d play the piano for us. So, we moved into the front room of our house and my three-year old son and I enjoyed an impromptu concert by flashlight. I decided this would be a good time to work on memorizing the Door Lecture too, so I grabbed my King Solomon and read it by flashlight as my wife played piano and my son explored the ornaments on the Christmas tree. All in all, it was quite an enjoyable 20 minutes or so. I actually felt like I was getting used to no electricity. Memorizing ritual doesn’t require much in the way of modern conveniences, and in some ways it seemed an appropriate activity for such a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment