Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Favorite Masonic Book?

My entered apprentice degree is scheduled for this evening and I thought I'd share my opinion on my favorite Masonic book as a total newcomer: no question, it's Freemasons For Dummies by Christopher Hodapp. Like other books in the "Dummies" series I've read, it's written by a knowlegable expert and it's a clear explanation of the basics, and, some of the not-so-basics. Hodapp's insight into what beginner's don't know amazed me. For example, I didn't understand how Freemasons were different from the Elks or the Kiwanians. He explains that. Clearly, too. He walked me through the history, the funny hats, and I love his reference to Putnam's concept of Social Capital (that's probably because I make my high school government students read an article by Putnam!). His book even includes part of the Regius Manuscript, something I don't understand but its presence there tells me this guy has ethos!

Thanks Christopher Hodapp for a great book!
(reposted from Feb. 18, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment