Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to school


The school year has started and that means back to work for me. I teach American Government at the high school level. I also teach an Advanced Placement Government and Politics class for which students can earn college credit.

I used to teach, and coach, high school debate, but I resigned that position last year. I’m sure I’ll miss debate, in fact, I do already. Each year brought a new debate topic to study and I enjoyed learning about them. I’ll miss working with the debaters, too; that was the best part of the job. Most people would be surprised how competitive high school debate is and how hard debaters work in the summer and during the school year.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the first Lincoln-Douglas debate in Ottawa, IL in 1858.

No comments:

Post a Comment