Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Scottish Rite Class of Fall 2010, Day 1

The Glen W. Lamb, 32˚ KCCH and Eugene L. Smith, 32˚ KCCH Fall Memorial Reunion is underway in Des Moines. We have 18 candidates in our class from throughout central Iowa. Even though we were quite busy the first evening, members of the class did get a chance to visit over dinner and it was a pleasure to meet such a great group of guys. I’m impressed with the quality of the men I’ve met, and continue to meet, in Freemasonry.

My class was very fortunate to meet the Most Eminent Grand Master, William H. Koon II, the Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of the United States. He attended the reception of our class, gave a brief speech, and shook the hand of each candidate. He spoke from the heart and I have to say it was perhaps the most moving experience of the evening for me, not to diminish the degrees, because that was fantastic, too. The casts were well-rehearsed and the sound and lighting added to the impact of the night. My fellow classmates agreed that it was an inspiring evening. My personal favorite so far is Provost and Judge. I found the lessons from that degree inspirational, relevant, and well-articulated. I'm excited for today's degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment