Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Des Moines Scottish Rite 2011 Spring Reunion


The Des Moines Valley’s Spring Reunion opened Friday, April 1 with the fourth degree- Secret Master. Twelve candidates began work at 4:00 PM and finished for the evening before 9:00 PM, well ahead of schedule, thanks in part to the efficient degree teams and the effective direction of the class marshals.

This year’s Spring Reunion is designated the Marvin A. Pomerantz, 33 Degree Memorial Reunion. Work continues Saturday, April 2 with the eighth degree and concludes with the Knight Rose Croix degree late Saturday afternoon. The Reunion continues April 15 and 16.

I was able to attend three of the degrees Friday: Perfect Master, Confidential Secretary, and Provost and Judge. The Seventh degree, Provost and Judge, remains as one of my favorites. The set and costuming are simple yet the message of the degree is profound.

The Fifth degree, Perfect Master, had special interest for me this time due to my work in the Master Craftsman course. I’m working on part two of the course and my current assignment is to write a 500 – 1000 word essay on the lessons of this degree. Seeing the degree performed complete with props, costuming, and special lighting inspired my thinking and led to several ideas for my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment