Saturday, March 3, 2012
Living History Farm's Dr. Armstrong: Freemason from Polk City
Dr. George Armstrong was one of Polk City’s earliest doctors and also a Freemason. Dr. Armstrong traveled to Iowa from Ohio beginning his Polk City practice in 1857. He owned property at the corner of Broadway and Summer street; current residents believe his office was located there. In 1979, Dr. Armstrong’s office was donated to Living History Farms. The office is located on the main street of Walnut Hill, the recreated town at Living History farms. Dr. Armstrong is buried in Polk City Cemetery.
(Currie, Roxana. Polk City's Early History Before 1900. Iowa City: Camp Pope Publishing, 2000.)