Iowa Freemasonry is a personal journal of a Freemason in central Iowa. This blog documents my Masonic research interests, experiences, and reflections. Welcome!

Friday, October 22, 2010

How much is too little?

How much is too little?
After reading the North Eastern Corner’s thoughts on whether or not Freemasons meet too much, I started thinking about my schedule. How much time do I devote to Masonic work? So, I stared an Excel spread sheet and crunched some numbers, just for fun.

My assumptions might not fit you, in fact, they aren’t exact even for me, but this is how I figured my time commitment: 8 hours at work, 8 hours sleep, 2 hours total for shower/shave and breakfast and supper, 1 ½ hours for daily chores, and 30 minutes commute time for work. That’s for a work day. For weekends, I added 2 hours for church and 4 hours total per weekend day for chores; I subtracted work and commute time.

In terms of Masonic activity, I’m assuming 2 ½ hours per Masonic function (meeting or whatever).

The results:

% free time used Amount of Masonic activity
1.74% 1 Masonic activity per month
3.47% 2 Masonic activities per month
5.21% 3 Masonic activities per month
6.94% Weekly Masonic activities per month
13.89% 8 Masonic activities per month

By the way, I spent 1.04% of my free time this month researching and writing this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment